Satoshi Nakamoto, Real Life Cyberpunk

This is the main forum area.

Skull Lord
Skull Lord
Currently Playing:
A Link Between Worlds (3DS), Into the Breach (Switch)
PSN:
hexcrass
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:07 am
Does anyone here mess with Bitcoin? I heard about the Bitcoin project a while back, but I didn't really think about it much until I read this Gawker story back in June:
Underground Website Lets You Buy Any Drug Imaginable
So immediately I tried to go check Silk Road out. I got a page saying Silk Road is closed to new members (because of the story no doubt).
I waited a few months and ....
 Silk Road
Oh hey, there it is :lol:
I don't have any reason to buy drugs on the internet, but it's nice to know that I can :D

If you don't know, Bitcoin is an online currency that is not made by governments, but by computers using cryptography.
The currency runs on a distributed peer to peer system that can't be shut down. The transactions made with Bitcoin are anonymous and can't be taxed or regulated by governments. You accounts can't be frozen. It's a worldwide currency.
I have a feeling that a decentralized currency that can't be taxed, regulated and controlled is going to be a big problem for governments here very shortly perhaps. Groups like Wikileaks and anonymous/lulzsec etc. are already using it and have brought it to the public's attention more.

I wanted to learn more about Bitcoin, mainly who invented it. Then I discovered that NOBODY KNOWS who made the Bitcoin program! It was someone who goes by the name Satoshi Nakamoto. He released this thing in 2009 in a ready to use state, made a few message board posts about it and then disappeared.
Now obviously, he might be a she, and not Japanese, or it might be a team of people. Or maybe it was freaking COBRA, in their latest plot to topple world governments, who knows?

Here are some threads with people speculating on who Satoshi Nakamoto is and what his motives were:
Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?
Satoshi Nakamoto - 1,5 million Bitcoins - We need answers

I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the whole Bitcoin thing is as interssting as I think it is.
Whoever/whatever Satoshi Nakamoto is, he's the most cyberpunk dude ever.

Some more Bitcoin stuff:
Bitcoin – a Digital, Decentralized Currency (podcast)
Bitcoin: The Digital Currency That Can Change Everything
Bitcoin: inside the encrypted, peer-to-peer digital currency

Return to General