Why a Forum?

This is the main forum area.

Scylla
Scylla
Currently Playing:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3) (Arcade), Pop'n Music Fantasia (Arcade)
PSN:
hexcrass
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:48 pm
Why does a small video games site need a forum?
The short answer is that forums are fun and I wanted one.

(Warning, rant ahead)

The long answer is that internet forums are dying. In the past few years I've seen multiple popular forums outright die and many more decline in conversation. I'm going to blame the death of forums on Facebook mostly. I think there's a direct relationship between the rise in popularity of Facebook and the decline of internet forums.

I'm not sure why, but I do know that Facebook is a poor substitute for a forum.
Here's why.

1. You can't have an in depth conversation on Facebook. Every post is a "status update" or a reaction to one. Facebook has a 420 character limit on it's posts, so forget about having a conversation with anyone where the post is longer. This phpBB forum has a default character limit of 60000 by comparison.

If somehow you do manage to get a good conversation going, you can count on it being lost forever in a matter of days. So if you think of a great response a couple of weeks later, it's almost impossible to find the conversation again, as it will be hidden by the "Older Posts" button at the bottom of the page. There's no way to bump a topic. On a forum, conversations can last years and they don't disappear immediately (or ever, really).

2. You'll never learn anything on Facebook. The interface is so dumbed down that you can't even share an animated .gif.
 Pauline
Want to know how I made this .gif? I'd be happy to show you, but you'll never learn how to do it on Facebook. Facebook also does other lameness like resizing screenshots, etc.
I'm sure there's other examples of this too, but I can't think of any atm.

3. No one sees what you write anyways. That's right, all of your posts are secretly censored from your friends list, and only a few people can see what you post. On a forum, every member can see every post (in a public section).

4. The use of your real name, or something that appears to be a real name is mandatory on Facebook. Handles are NOT allowed. This part annoys the hell out of me personally. I really like internet handles and anonymity online in general. You can't have a real conversation when you're always worried about the Gestapo watching you. On an internet forum, handles are the norm.

All this is aside from just the general über creepiness of Facebook.

Like I said before, internet forums are dying and I like to promote the cause of not just throwing things away, which is probably why a run a website about arcades, that has a forum and an IRC chatroom.
This is my virtual middle finger to everything that's wrong with Web 2.0.

In the end, if no one shows up to talk, I won't really care, at least I tried.
 MAME Fighting League
Bone Scimitar
Bone Scimitar
Medals: 4
Lookie Loo Medal (1) Bronze Cross (1) Silver Cross (1) Gold Cross (1)

Currently Playing:
Dragonworld (Telarium, 1984), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo 1988)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 pm
Hmm...this may well be, but it has it's uses.

FB does allow you to use a screen name now, account>account settings>username. Mine is GoldieLover1, look me up.

Blood Skeleton
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 pm
Are we allowed to talk about suppressed information and or "warez"? :D

Scylla
Scylla
Currently Playing:
PSN:
hexcrass
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 am
Pill'sGhost wrote:Hmm...this may well be, but it has it's uses.

FB does allow you to use a screen name now, account>account settings>username. Mine is GoldieLover1, look me up.

Hahahaha STFU! http://www.myspace.com/goldiesworld
Yeah I guess it has it's uses, I'm just not feelin it maybe. I also feel it's getting less useful everyday.
 MAME Fighting League

Scylla
Scylla
Currently Playing:
PSN:
hexcrass
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 am
ArtOverMatter wrote:Are we allowed to talk about suppressed information and or "warez"? :D

Suppressed information is the best kind to talk about! As far as warez goes, talk about it all you want. No posting of serials or uploading cracks is allowed on this server, but links to offsite content are ok. I mean we aren't a release group or anything, but if you want to promote your releases, go ahead.
 MAME Fighting League

Return to General